As you may have noticed, I chose WordPress as a website management system when I looked at upgrading my website. This is my real “Hello World” post!
One of the biggest reasons why I chose WordPress when upgrading my website was the ease of use. The easier it is for me to put content on a website, the more I’ll update. Updating has many benefits, so I primarily sought for this.
The idea of using blog posts came up as I searched for website management systems, and I saw a few of my peers using it on their websites.
However, one of the more discouraging things about using blogs was the association the word has. I didn’t want to post personal entries, observations, or opinions. It’s not appropriate to have these things in a professional website, but these things seem to be associated with the word “blog”. I want to post information that other people may use, or inspire others to new ideas, and do it in a way that’s easy for me to use.
Here’s the reasons that encouraged me to make articles, and why you should too:
- Web Presence. Having a web presence adds to your overall presence into a community, whether scientific, technical, or otherwise. It’s still a good thing.
- Visibility. The more you write, the more likely you’ll be visited. More posts can increase your page rank, and give search bots more data to categorize your website, making it more likely for your website to come up given a search term.
- Contributing to a Community. Surely there are contributions to a scientific community that aren’t conference or journal entries. I can’t tell you how many times my projects were saved to just one blog post about a bug fix or one tutorial on how to use a technology.
- Improvement in Writing. I would like to improve my communication skills, and in a technical field like mine, it’s especially crucial to learn to write well. Generally technical or scientific fields don’t receive ongoing technical writing courses. The best advice I have been given to improve is to write often.
Here are some examples of what I have seen my peers use it, and how I would like to use it. Please get some ideas and let me know if there are other examples to add:
- Tutorials to using some technology. Sure, there may be other tutorials out there, but you may show something different that someone else may deem essential.
- Experiences relevant to scientific ideas(ideas inspired by everyday life), processes(applying to college/grad school/industry or academic position, etc)
- Reviews of products, books, technologies
Let me know of other ideas to add to this list.